Friday, November 03, 2006

Haggard? I Bet He Is!

What finally pushed me to throw in one more set of opinions into the blogosphere was a news item I read early this morning, as I was drinking my first coffee and trying to slowly awake and prepare for yet another audition.

"Accused of Gay Liaison, Head of Evangelical Group Resigns"

Another one bites the dust.

Another powerful closeted gay man with ambitions to make life miserable for his "bretheren" who lead more open lives fails in his struggle to control his own zipper. What was it about this article that really made my morning? I should feel guilty, I think, for feeling so much glee at reading about the plight of this man - but I refuse to shortchange my rush. I should feel some compassion for the man's family and his children, for his church, for those who followed him and believed his homophobic rantings. I should also presume him innocent - these are, after all, accusations based on the testimony of one male prostitute, right?

A friend just emailed me to tell me this news makes her sad. Shoot me - I'm loving it.

I can't resist. I'm loving it. Because I know it's got to be true. Because I've met such men - closeted, aggressively "straight", afraid of the slightest insinuation of their potentially more "liberal" sexual nature... Hell, I was one of those men. So I know it's far too possible that this story about this man in Colorado is true. And I wonder how many more of them there are like him.

Like that mayor in Spokane, who campaigned against gay marriage in Washington State, and who later was discovered IM'ing young male teens on AOL, soliciting "private meetings." Or the ex-governor of New Jersey, who supported undermining gay-friendly legislation in his home state while he secretly met with his long-time male lover. Or the Congressional staffers in Washington, DC, who dance it up at gay clubs on the weekends and then return to work on Monday to help their Republican bosses campaign for a Constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

People in power who speak (and who knows what else) through both sides of their mouths. I know, I know... history is full of such men (and women). But these guys hit a personal nerve. And I am overjoyed when they are dragged out into the light, kicking and screaming. Because I hope.

I hope that, with each new revelation of hypocrisy, the number of average Americans who see the ranting, aggressive, homophobic "agenda" for what it really is - a message of hatred, for self or your neighbor - will increase.

I hope that more and more hypocrits in power come tumbling down from their self-righteous thrones and learn - yes, the hard way - some humility and grace and tolerance.

And I hope that that poor slob in Colorado finally ends his war with himself and, maybe, just one day, might help another closeted sufferer realize that the world won't end the day he (or she) accepts who he is. I'm sure I'll feel some remorse or compassion for the wife and kids tomorrow. But for the moment, I'm hoping that the honorable minister's lesson is a BIG one... huge.

(And a thank you to a new comrade up-in-arms about the sinister minister for lending me a headline for this posting.)

No comments: